Saturday, January 30, 2021.
Today was a good day. It started with the good news that Google accepted our submission! Given the quality of our submission last week, the acceptance was a pleasant surprise to all of us. We’ll take it.
So today we decided to improve our icon, and that’s what we did. We started with discussing what we had in mind for an icon and decided to go with one that symbolised the purpose of the extension.
The icon shows an abstract LinkedIn feed covered with a blocked symbol. To create the symbol, we struggled with figuring out which platform to use and decided to go with Figma. For most of us on the team, this was the first time we used a platform like this to design.
We started with designing what we had on paper, after unsuccessfully trying to convey the idea through a virtual whiteboard. Once we had the icon on paper, we proceed to try to recreate it using Figma and learnt a bit about Figma through the process. A big chunk of our time was spent trying to make the feed appear through the stop icon. Also, we spent some time trying to recreate wavy lines. To align the colours with LinkedIn, we based our colour choices on LinkedIn’s blue icon and the grey background colour of the feed.
We are happy with the end result and will update the extension after google review a submission we made before making a minor correction. We ended today with creating two screenshots that show the before and after view of the extension.
Next week, we plan to figure out how to make a video from the screenshots. That should be interesting.